Specialist Back Pain Treatment
Don’t accept chronic back pain as a fact of life – Hertfordshire Pain Consultants has the experience and expertise to give you effective treatment and relief.
Most of us have experienced back pain at some point in our lives, but with the help of over the counter medication plus gentle exercise, it goes away. Chronic, severe back pain however is far more serious – we understand it is a debilitating, depressing condition that leaves people struggling to carry out their normal daily activities.
Common Conditions Causing Chronic Back Pain
Severe back pain occurs most commonly in the lower area (lumbago), although it can occur anywhere along your spine, including the neck and hips.
These are some common conditions which result in patients suffering chronic back pain:
- Ankylosing Spondylitis – pain and stiffness where the spine meets the pelvis.
- Osteoarthritis (Facet Joint Syndrome) – the joint between two vertebrae in your spine becomes swollen and painful.
- Sciatica – the sciatic nerve becomes irritated or compressed, causing sensations of pain, numbness and tingling that travel down one leg.
- Slipped Disc and Degenerative Disc Disease – when a spinal disc is damaged, it presses painfully on the surrounding nerves.
Treatment for Chronic Back Pain
If you’ve been experiencing severe back pain which hasn’t improved over six weeks, you’re strongly advised to visit a back pain specialist – we will get to the root of the problem and formulate a comprehensive, tailored pain relief program to reduce your suffering and significantly improve your quality of life.
Depending on the severity of your condition, treatments range from physiotherapy and prescribed medications to injections and surgery. To give you an idea of the range of options we have in our arsenal to provide you with effective back pain relief, here are some examples of typical treatments:
- Prescribed Medications
- Cognitive Behavioural Therapy
- Epidural Steroid Injection (ESI)
- Facet Joint Injection
- Nerve Root Injection
- Sacroiliac Joint Injection
Rather than detailing complex medical procedures here, our Pain Management Clinic approach rests on getting to know patients thoroughly and discussing with them in person the back pain treatment program that is best suited to their needs.
Please feel free to Contact our team of experts to discuss your individual condition – we are dedicated to providing effective back pain relief to help you resume living life to the fullest.
Dr Johann Emmanuel – Consultant In Pain Medicine
Bsc, MBBS, MRCP, FRCA, FFPMANZCA, FFPMRCA
Speciality : Pain Medicine
Year Qualified : 1999